The European Commission formally invited Medellín to participate as an international mentor in the ICC, thanks to the good practices developed in recent years, the successful public policies implemented, and the challenges posed by the Development Plan “Medellín Futuro” to transform the city into a Software Valley and an Ecocity.
The Intelligent Cities Challenge – ICC is a program that seeks to drive technological transformation towards smart, green and socially sustainable growth between 2020 and 2022.
Over the next 2 and a half years of the program, participating cities will focus on implementing strategies to create a common open data platform, a Marketplace for Smart and Innovative City Solutions and Joint Investment Opportunities.
A total of 80 European cities were selected to exchange knowledge and successful practices around the Challenge themes and will be accompanied by 11 European and international mentor cities, within which Medellín is the only city in the Americas invited to be part of this select group.
Of the 91 cities that are part of this program, only two are outside the European Union: Singapore and Medellín as mentor cities.
As a launch for the program, the ICC City Lab will take place between September 28th and October 2nd; this is a virtual space in which today, Ruta N presented the innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem to the participant cities, as a model to replicate in other territories. They also presented innovative solutions that have driven the city in the contingency caused by COVID-19, such as InspiraMED and Medellín Me Cuida.
For Eleonora Betancur, executive director of the ACI Medellín, “being part of the ICC is an inspiring and challenging opportunity to advise other cities that have found our city model suitable and at the same time learn from other successful models in Europe. This will involve taking part in the supporting activities regarding the topics in which Medellín is strongest, while at the same time being able to access knowledge exchange and conversation spaces with all the participating cities”.
As an international mentor city, Medellín can access the following opportunities at the ICC:
- Draw inspiration from the best international practices by learning how cities use advanced technologies to solve social and urban problems.
- Turn strategies into high-impact actions, implementing short- and long-term projects in areas such as open data, local green agreements, renewable energy, among others.
- Expand visibility, recognition and business opportunities for the city by becoming part of a recognized international community of innovative cities that contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Use knowledge in new developments to become a regional model and help neighboring cities accelerate their transition to green and digital ecosystems.
- Collaborate with highly developed international peers through “mentor lounge” activities, where experiences in innovative solutions are shared.
- Promote successful solutions in the ICC Marketplace, allowing its application in other cities. Participating in technology fairs, hackathons and other European Union events that sow business opportunities with key cities.